Monday, December 14, 2009

Medialunas

I'm not sure how I went this long without mentioning medialunas.  You know how in the US, people may have eggs for breakfast?  Or pancakes, waffles, cereal, toast, donuts, muffins, english muffins, bacon, etc?  Well here, there is only one option.  But thankfully, its a good one: medialunas.  Literally, it means "half moons." 

They are essentially little croissants, but with a sweet glaze on top.  Yea, I know!  Croissants are great - period.  But add a sugary coating?!  Oh yea!

A lot of cafes have a promotion where you get coffee (really, its expresso here), 3 medialunas, a shot glass of orange juice and one of water for a reasonable price.  But not all medialunas are created equal.  I'm now on a mission to find the best ones in the city.  So far the two top contenders are Cafe Martinez and this other place near my house.  I always forget the name.  I know it has a Q in it...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good prince artaxerxes....fed-ex them to me

    ReplyDelete