Tuesday, June 1, 2010

San Rafael

On Friday, May 21st I got on a bus to San Rafael. It was the start of a week-long trip to the province of Mendoza. What a good time!

Fernan picked me up at the bus station on Saturday morning.  I stayed at his house for a few days, and his family was absolutely lovely.  Here they are:


Fernan is fluent in Spanish, English, and Argentine Sign Language.  So Saturday he took me on an English study with a couple from South Africa.  They were so sincere and humble.  We spent about 3 hours talking and addressing their thoughtful questions.  

Sunday I had the privilege of giving a talk in the Sign Language group.  Fernan was kind enough to translate from my English.  As I was giving the talk I thought it was somewhat funny that all the time and effort I've spent working on speaking techniques such as tone, pausing, etc, were basically useless in this setting.

Here is the Sign Language group:

  

Monday and Tuesday we did some preaching to English speakers in the area.  We met some very friendly guys from the United States.  Fernan, make sure you plant and water that interest!

We also visited the Bianchi winery.  At this particular one they make sparkling wine.  They give you a glass to taste at the end of the tour.  I had 3.

  

During my stay Fernan came up with a new nickname for me: Ironheart.  I don't know about you, but I like it!

After San Rafael, it was off to Mendoza city!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment