Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Ostrich Algorithm

I have never actually seen an ostrich do this, but supposedly, when in trouble, an ostrich will hide its head in the sand.  Its apparent rationale is that if it can't see the problem, the problem is not there.

In Computer Science, we have: The Ostrich Algorithm

It says, in short: "Solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist."  So, clearly, the term 'algorithm' here is used very liberally.

At first glance it seems rather ridiculous to use this as a precept in software engineering, but at times it is a reasonable course - particularly when the problem in question happens exceedingly rarely and countermeasures are not cost-effective.

Well, you know me: I am a little over-zealous in applying software engineering principles to real life. 

In this case, it fails miserably.

I have tried ignoring problems and hoping they will go away.  I learned something.  If 'hoping' is part of your plan of action... you need a new plan of action. 

That's an important point, so I'll say it again: If you find yourself simply 'hoping' a situation will improve, you're not doing it right.  Stop hoping and start doing something.

I have, on several occassions, not done this.  I invoked the Ostrich Algorithm.  Usually because it's easy.  Actually, always because it's easy.  But now, whenever I catch myself 'hoping' for something, I remember the ostrich and how silly he looks with his head in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment