Friday, July 1, 2011

Studies... Again

It has been some time since I last mentioned some of the studies here.  But in this case, no news is good news.  Many have continued to progress well.

One is a man who speaks Amharic.  Well, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty rusty with my Amharic.  So we studied in English for a long time.  His appreciation kept developing.  He attended meetings.  But it was not his mother language.

Then a family moves into our congregation.  One day the brother mentions that he has a friend who is learning Amharic back in the States.  We get her email.  We chat with her on Skype.  Her Amharic is basic, but she gives us the email of a native Amharic speaker.

Long story short, now we include him on our study via Skype!  And it is fantastic.  Sometimes I will just sit there for an hour while they talk.  But he understands everything clearly!  It is really a blessing.

I mentioned another study a long time ago.  He continues to grow in his understanding and appreciation.  The last time I went it almost made me cry.  He is so thankful when we come that he always gives us a donation, even when we don't give him any new literature.  He always says "thank you for showing me the way."  And when he can't keep an appointment he says "I beg you, forgive me, let's make it another day."  It is hard to put his attitude into words, but it is a beautiful thing to see.

2 comments:

  1. what awesome experiences. I love that you linked someone in via skype - genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Xerxes!! Awesome experience! I'll have to share some of mine with you soon. My workplace is ripe for harvesting. And even though I am not officially conducting them, they have been very successful and one is talking of baptism, in which she said she would NEVER do again. well anywho keep us posted :) we miss u back here. - Nick

    ReplyDelete